Pages

Friday, January 31, 2014

The January Roundup

Hello all fellow Bloggers and Blogreaders alike!! Today is the last day of the month, and as I promised before, the last day of the month post is a roundup of the books I've read during said month;)

I'm pretty sure I already covered the first few in a previous post. (which I will link to when I get on something other than my iDevice ;) 

So!! Taking up where I left off, we'll start with:

Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Brönte. I love this book. It never gets old. Seriously. Read it. 

Contending For Our All, by John Piper. This is the fourth in a series called the Swans Are Not Silent. I was assigned this series for school, and it was the best thing ever. These books have brought about a sort of personal revival in my own spiritual life. I can't give a higher recommendation;)

The Princess Adelina, by Julie Sutter. This is a book I've read practically since infancy xD it's a delightful little German tale, and it's true!! I love those =)

Poor Richard's Almanack by Benjamin Franklin. When I saw this book in the library, I felt that I had stumbled upon a unique little gem! I was right! Franklin's wit and satire are delightful. I thoroughly enjoyed this. (So did my brother!! XD)

Carry On, Mr. Bowditch, by Jean Lee Latham. Latham is one of my favourite maritime authors. Ever. Her biographies about famous mariners are fun, easy to read for any age group, and very engrossing. This book is no exception.

Little Men and Jo's Boys by Louisa May Alcott. I've probably read these books more times than I could count on my fingers. They're great. And timeless. And all that schtuff. 

With Lawrence in Arabia by Lowell Thomas. This is a book I will never grow tired of, even with the inaccuracies portrayed in it and the confusion surrounding the actual character of its hero....... Still. It's a good story. And I love anything set in the Middle East.

The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart. As I was trying to explain to Caitlyn before she read it, the characters (all being under the age of thirteen) make the story seem, at first glance, well, childish. But as you read, you discover a simply magnetic plot that pulls you in and doesn't let go. Caitlyn can vouch for this.

Tinyburg Revisited by Robert J. Hastings.  The sequel to Tinyburg Tales. This is one of those delightful little books that you read right before bed.

Tintin in America, the Cigars of the Pharaohs, the Blue Lotus by Hergé. If you haven't read the Tintin comics, I highly suggest that you do. I could rave on and on about them, but trust me, you'd much rather just read them;) Go! Now! The rest of the post can do without you while you improve your mind!

Les Misérables by Victor Hugo. I really don't think this is a safe topic for me at all. What can one say?? It's a masterpiece. I have read another of his books, the Hunchback of Notre Dame, and the dynamic of this book was totally different. It's 1200 pages long, and I promise that you will stay intrigued and flabbergasted and delighted through every page. 

The Ravenmaster's Secret. I don't actually remember who wrote it xD This was a fun little story about a boy who lived in the Tower of London. 

Books 1-6 of A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket. Please don't comment on how many I read. I had a lot of time on my hands. Kinda.

Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare. Yes, more Shakespeare. Every time I try to convince myself to read a new play, I end up rereading my old favourites, and I shamelessly enjoy this one x)

Anne of Green Gables, (the last six) by L. M. Montgomery. What. Don't look at me like that!! I had a lot more time on my hands!! 
*sigh* I just love these books so much. I used to not enjoy the last two as much as the others, since they focused primarily on Anne's children and their lives rather than Anne;) but with every reread, I find myself loving them more!!

Except Rilla. I'm not quite over that one yet. *cries*


I think that's it!! Well, until next month!!


~Margaret

No comments:

Post a Comment