Pages

Saturday, January 4, 2014

The Book Jar


Recently, a few preteen/teenage girls (my sisters and I) created what has been called the "Book Jar." Actually, I named it, with all the wit and clarity I could muster. I'm sure you've seen this idea before. It is simply writing the title of each book you finish and putting it in a jar. At the end of the year, you have a jar full of your accomplishments! I was super fortunate to have one of those awesome old blue canning jars, and I made my slips of paper out of blue, green, and brown patterned scrapbooking paper. I may end up doing a little more embellishing, it all depends on the mood I'm in x)





Isn't it pretty?!:D I'm very excited. My only fear is that I'll fill it up too quickly!
I've seen a couple of variations on this idea, one of which was writing down titles you hope to read or reread, and picking one at random when you run short of material. I didn't do that, because I scarcely ever finish my "To-Read" list, and the idea was not spontaneous enough to suite my taste.

I'm super pumped to read more than ever this year, and have already read a few books to encourage myself x) I plan on doing a monthly round-up of the titles I consume, in hopes that it will not only keep me motivated, but possible motivate others as well.

So far I've read six titles, although I made my jar on the 30th of December. I couldn't wait!! Here they are:

~Rose in Bloom by Louisa May Alcott
I am so in love with everything she writes. Rose is the sequel to her previous novel, Eight Cousins. I have a disagreeable bias against many sequels, but every time I reread these books, I find them just as wonderful as the first time I picked them up. Rose is a shade sadder in some respects, but it is a truly beautiful book.

~Parts 1-3 of King Henry VI by William Shakespeare
Ask anyone: I am a sucker for Shakespeare. He had writing talent in every direction you can look, but at historical drama, he excelled. He had a way of making those figures come to life in a way that makes them relatable, even in the 21st century. In Henry VI, he tells a story of broken peace, the separation of France from England after the death of England's monarch, Henry V. He portrays Henry VI as something of a weak king, who is unable to control the bickering and sparring in his own court, much less the goodwill between the two countries. Shakespeare masterfully exhibits the treachery of human nature, yet also displays a clear picture of noble manhood. A fantastic read.

~The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick
I love this book. Selznick combined the elements of film, art, and story, to create Hugo, the story of a young boy living in the clocks of a Paris train station. If you've seen the film simply called Hugo, you will love to see how they replicated all the carefully hand-drawn shots directly from the book. I could read this book a dozen times, it is simply fascinating in every respect. Well worth anyone's time.

~Bound By Love by Linda Droeger
I read this book at the suggestion of my mother. It is the true story of how the Chinese adoption agency, Chinese Children Adoption International (CCAI) first began. Joshua Zhong and his wife Lily began this beautiful ministry on their own, entirely self-supported. To date, they have placed over 10,000 children in homes all around the world. It is inspiring, not only to make a difference in these children's lives, but to walk ever closer to Jesus Christ, and to persevere, though seemingly insurmountable obstacles stand in the way. The book itself was written by one of their oldest adoptive parents, and she brings the years to life with experiences and emotions from every side of the story.



What plans do you have for reading this year? Are you using one of the Jars? Comment in the below-ness;)



~Margaret

No comments:

Post a Comment