Pages

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Character Sketch ~ King Torvald

I wanted to blog today. I did.
I forgot that my Internet turns off at 10:00.
So here is my flurried, hurried, flustered attempt at Torvald's sketch. It'll probably be terrible. I'll probably completely rewrite it tomorrow.

Torvald, son of Tybald, son of Torgny, son of Stolt. High King of Ellyion. Master over the regions of Verta, Byrn, and many others. Kingdoms pay tribute to him, his own country loves him. He is kind, generous, and fair.
What more can you say of a king than that?
Apparently, the Count of ___ (c'mon guys, I really need a name!!!) thinks there is more. He's determined to dig up every inch of dirt and muck that he can concerning Torvald's past. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Torvald is strong and true, but he has one cardinal flaw. He trusts too easily. Many of us can trust a person simply because we've known them all our life. Perhaps we have grown close to them. Perhaps, we know them inside and out.
A king doesn't have this luxury. Countless plots against his life and his throne have been attempted by countless people, many of which come from his own court. Countless times, nobles have risen up against their sovereign. Many, perhaps, of whom he knew well.

People can be turned. There are ways. But Torvald has yet to learn this all-important lesson.
When Vyrrn's father was scummed in with the designs on the throne involving the murder of the royal family, Torvald did the only thing he could be expected to do - he banished him from Ellyion. The Count was whispering in his ear the entire time. And while he encouraged the king not to trust anyone and helped him remove so called "threats," he made his own standing with the king stronger.
Wait. This isn't about the Count.
Count!! Go sit in your room until I call for you!!
Count: *pouts* (I'm sorry!! He's just such a complex and mysterious and multi-faceted character who is a joy to write!!!)
SO. Where was I? Stolt, Ellyion, dirt, disloyalty, trust issues, Torvald. Mkay. I've got this.
The character arc I hope to put in place for this illustrious character, (the King, not the Count) is in the form of a tale told (you guessed it) countless times over the ages. It is the story of a boy becoming a man, or in this case, a man becoming a more mature man.
This is by far my favourite story of all time. And as I look closer into my own story-telling attempts, I find that it reoccurs naturally, without me realizing it at all. I could get into this tangent so easily, but
THIS POST IS ABOUT TORVALD! OKAY, SELF? Goodness, I can't seem to avoid chasing rabbit trails today.
Fine. *pouts and goes to sit with Count*
So Torvald learns to find the balance in trust, something which I hope to discover myself over the course of writing this story and his character arc in particular. Hey, maybe if I just give all of my characters lots of problems, then as I write them, I'll find all of the answers to Life's questions!!
Wouldn't that be AWESOME?!
Just kidding. I already know the answer to Life. It's forty-two.
Stay on topic, Maggie.
I'm just gonna go on to character photos.


Surprisingly enough, I was able to narrow it down to only one photograph!
Actually, I could only find one. (I know! I'm lousy at this, okay!)



Isn't he like super majestic looking!!! Except without the shackles. He'll never be imprisoned. Unless....... *plot bunnies begin to run wild*
 
 
 
True to form I don't know who this guy is. (Bellaaaaa!!!!!!)
 
I have two minutes of Internet left. So I guess that means I'll edit tomorrow.
 
 
 
 
 
Goodnight, all!!
~Margaret

5 comments:

  1. His name is Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and he's immensely regal and kind-looking. Well chosen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD you should have a position. Like, Official Persons Identifier or something ;) thank you so much!!!

      Delete
  2. Maggie, I love the way you write. Never change. Also, YES. The answer to life, the universe, and everything is 42!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I should ever change, it will only be for the better x)

      Delete