Pages

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Character Sketch ~ Ella

I was mad. I'm still mad.

Lela is a PERFECTLY good name and it sums up her character exACTLY.

But, turns out if you rearrange the letters of Lela, you get Ella. (yes, I too have read Ella Enchanted. It was my favorite book for about 67.5 years)
Why did I change her name? Well, the L name was already called. A writing principle of mine. If you don't want to remember one at the mention of the other, don't use names beginning with the same letter or ones that have the same ending. Comedic writers use this to their advantage sometimes, but unless you're doing that kind of work, (I never will) it's probably best to avoid it.

I promise this is not a post on writing technique. I just had to get that out of my system.
Right, on to business.

Ella is just exactly the kind of character who I can write for fun and not have to worry much about weighty emotions or intense inner conflict. She is just as she appears, honest, transparent, flighty, impulsive. She is gossipy and coquettish, with a general lack of ambition. Candid and kind, she has a way with people, and charms everyone she meets. Were it not for her status as a servant, she would be the belle of every ball. She has classic beauty, blonde and blue-eyed. Her sole goal in life is to enjoy herself and live comfortably. Obviously, with a cushy job at the palace, she manages both quite nicely.

Two thoughts cross my mind as I write this.
One, I'm not creating her as a role model. She is purely balancing the disposition of our dear Lorelei. (if this is what you thought of her, why, we need to talk about you and your life ambitions xP)
Two, I want you guys to like her as much as I do. In bare, cold words, she does come across as something of a brat. She's not. She's caring, kind, compassionate. Rarely does she do anything out of malice, though her frank tongue can get her into trouble at times.

For a good half of the story, she is notoriously absent. That means she has much less screentime to make the audience love her than several of the other characters. I really hope she comes through for me, because she really is a darling character.

Before I leave you, I wish you to peruse this scene. It's the first one I wrote in which she appears, and perhaps you can get to know her better through it than my rambling;)

This scene takes place in the palace, about a year after Lorelei has returned to her home.
(sorry in advance for the confusing use of both British and American spelling, and any time I forgot to make the name change from Lela to Ella xD)

“Your Majesty.” The footman boomed. “A peasant has requested audition with His Highness.”
Torvald stroked his beard.

“And would this be the same peasant who arrived last night?” he inquired.

“It would, your Majesty.”

“Show him in.”

I leaned over to Ella, who was bent obediently over her needlework.

“Do you know anything about this?” I whispered.

“No, your grace, I do not.” She responded in the same hushed tones. She looked innocent enough, but I knew better.

“Ella, come now. You know about everything that goes on in the palace! Now tell me, what have you heard?”

“Well,” she began excitedly, “One of the footmen told me that a stranger entered very late last night. A handsome stranger.” She lifted her eyes heavenward. I rolled mine with exasperation.

“What else?”

“He requested permission to stay overnight so he might speak to the royal family.”

“Anything more?”

“I haven’t told you the most exciting bit yet.” She was nearly squirming. “When asked what his business at the palace was, he said he wanted to see the princess.”

I sat up quickly.

“Ella, you have no business spreading rumours you know aren’t true.” I said sharply. My mother gave me a warning glance. I looked straight in front of me and ignored Ella who was mouthing words at me.

It’s true….


The footman appeared again.

“The peasant is here, Sire.” He hesitated. “He wouldn’t give me his name.”

“You may go.” My father said, shifting in his chair uneasily. Why would an honest peasant refuse to give his name?

Footsteps reverberated in the hall. I turned back to the book in my lap, but the words blurred together. Ella was just repeating a silly rumour, of course. Who on earth would be coming to see me?

The door opened and I twitched in my seat. At first, no one appeared behind it, but then a tall figure entered the room awkwardly, turning to close the door behind him. He turned back to the thrones and I got a good look at his face. I stood to my feet, the forgotten book falling to the ground.

“Vyrrn.” I said breathlessly. He smiled at me sheepishly.

“Your Majesty.” He bit his lip. He bowed to my parents. “Sire, Mistress.”

“Lorelei?” King Torvald thundered. “You know this young man?”

“Yes Father,” I replied. “But I’d rather discuss it in private.” I glanced at Ella. She would be hurt that I excluded her, I knew, but better that than stories floating around the city about me and a certain young man.

My father agreed. “Servants, you are dismissed.” Ella rose, gathering her needlework. As she left, she shot me a glance that said plainly, I expect you to tell me every detail later. I grinned at her in a way that didn’t befit a princess at all.
 
 
Now, the character photo!!! Surprisingly enough, I somehow managed to find a single image which fits Ella to a tee. I'm still really proud of that. (Don't ever be proud. Pride is a sin)
 
Ella!!!
(If anyone knows who this is or what it's from, I would be most grateful for that knowledge)
 
 
Merci beaucoup for a small piece of your priceless time,
~Margaret
 

2 comments:

  1. It's the actress Claire Holt. Ella sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much, Bella x) Well I certainly think so ;P but then again, writers always have a stronger attachment to their characters than anyone else...

      Delete