Pages

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Lorelei and Vyrrn

I'm going to pretend that I've already written that awkward first post, and just skip over it completely.

Today, I shall introduce you to a little bit of my writing style with a clip with a scene from my Lorelei story. If you haven't already read my synopsis of sorts from this story, I suggest you hop right over to the 'My Stories' tab. Or just click on this. Don't worry. We'll wait for you.


.............










Under the seeeeeeeaaa!!! Under the seaaaaaaa!!!! Darlin' it's better down where it's wetter, take it from meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

Huh? What? Oh. Back to work.
So anyways, now that you know a little bit about Lorelei and Vyrrn, here's the scene where Lorelei and Vyrrn are getting to know each other a bit (actually the first scene I wrote)
A couple of people have asked me, (including my dad, how awkward) if this is a romance. I immediately get defensive, because I personally dislike the idea of anyone who writes about something they know nothing about, and I take it to mean that they believe I would stoop to such a low level (I think I just insulted myself?)  But no, curious and mislead readers, Vyrrn and Lorelei are not romantically involved in any way. Just kill that idea right now. *squish*
Maybe it would have helped if I would have told you that Lorelei is in her mid-teens while Vyrrn is a decade older. At least.

And without any more ado, I present to you: The Scene That Started It All


“Vyrrn,” I asked, “why do you have two beds if you live alone?”
He sighed deeply and sat for a moment.

“Because,” he replied slowly, “I didn’t always live alone. My mother used to live with me.”

“What happened to her?” I asked quietly, not wanting to upset him. He met my gaze.

“She… she was abducted. By a gang of ruffians. I don’t know what they wanted. But I fear she is no longer living.” I was horrified.

“But, didn’t you search for her?”

“I did,” he responded, “But not too long after I set out after them, I came across a girl in the forest. She was nearly dead from exhaustion and the cold. She had collapsed about two miles away from here.” He looked down at the rough-hewn floorboards. “I knew what my mother would have wanted me to do. So, I carried the girl back to this house and nursed her back to health as best I knew how.” I stared at him.

“You gave up hope of ever finding your mother.”

“I saved a life.”

“Vyrrn, I-” He cut me short.

“Don’t thank me, please. I don’t-” He searched for the right words for a moment. “If I had left you there to die, I could not have lived with myself.” We both fell silent, immersed in our own thoughts. In a moment, he broke the silence. “Now it’s my turn to ask; who are you?” I had known the question was inevitable, yet I dreaded it. I waited as long as I could, then took a deep breath.

“Lorelei.” I said reluctantly. “Princess Lorelei.” It was his turn to stare. He gave a short laugh, and reached out to feel my forehead. “I’m not sick,” I protested, “I’m telling the truth.”

“I’m sorry.” he said sheepishly. “But can you really expect me to believe that?”

“I can prove it!” I continued. I felt my neck for the chain that hung around it, but all I felt was bare skin. I gasped. “My pendant!”

“Wait!” he stood. “I have that. In your delirium you kept tearing at it, so I took it off.” He retrieved it from the table and placed it in my hands. I pressed on the gold filigreed edge and a tiny clasp unlatched. Inside was the King’s seal with one of the royal jewels embedded in it. I had owned the pendant since infancy.

“See!” I crowed triumphantly and showed it to him. He gave a low whistle and reached for it carefully.

“Stolt’s beard.” he said, awed.

“Believe me now?” I laughed. He handed it back.

“Absolutely.” he responded slowly. “Your Majesty.” 
 
 
I know. That was really short. That's the other thing I forgot to mention, I'm not good at writing long scenes. I'm too critical of myself. But I'm getting better!!!
What'd you think?
Should I win some sort of award for this? You're most definitely right.
Should I burn it with fire and then with nitro-glycerin and then throw it over Niagara Falls? You're probably right there too. But I'm writing. And one day my work will pay off. And then you'll be at a bookstore, waiting in a 357 person line to get your copy of my latest book signed.
 
What can I say? I'm creative xD
 
Orevwa, dear readers.
~Margaret  

4 comments:

  1. I'LL BE THE FIRST IN THAT LINE OF 357 PEOPLE!!!!! I'LL CAMP OUTSIDE THE STORE AND RUSH IN AS SOON AS THEY GET YOUR BOOK!!!! Anyways, I actually kinda really a lot adore this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! And how'd ya know I loved Under The Sea ;)
    (I'm Ashley McNutt's sister)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to "meet" you! xD Carly, right??? And because I love it too!!

      Delete
    2. Yep. I like your style of writing, and I'd be second in line behind Ashley :D

      Delete