Pages

Monday, October 21, 2013

Life Goes On...

“In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.”
― Robert Frost
Life is going on. In the past several days, I've felt a strange sense of anxiety. ACTs are coming up in a few days, and I must admit, I've spent more time worrying about the test than preparing for it. The weekend was a bit of relief from three very full days of school.
That's the other thing about me. (I know what you're thinking. Maggie, you keep saying that and I don't know if you're trying to be funny or not, but it's just coming across as annoying. I know that. I'm just super forgetful. That's another thing abou- Oh. Right.) I have an extreme case of a mild malady: Procrastination. And homeschooling doesn't help. It's pretty convenient for me to take it easy the first half of the week, then work my tail off trying to get my school done during the last half. You'd thing I'd figure out how to not have to do it that way, but no.

So where was I? ACT. Panic. Procrastination. Never trust a plastic hippo. Right.

So there I was at 10:30 on Saturday night, trying to finish chemistry. And here I am right now, blogging, after having done school and managing to get a hefty bit of ACT prep done. (is it even legal to put those kinds of math problems in a high-school test?!) The difference between the way I felt then and the way I feel now is evocative of the height difference between my friend Kate and a tall person. Basically a HUGE difference. (analogies aren't my thing; sorry Kate:/)
On Saturday I was panicked, harried, agitated, pressured, anxious, at wit's end, beset, distressed, harassed, hard-pressed, troubled, besieged, you get the picture. Not happy. Today, I am quite contented, knowing all that I have been able to accomplish in a few short hours. Okay, a lot of hours.

These emotional differences caused me to come to at least two conclusions.
1. Life goes on, with or without us.
2. We can push off our responsibilities until we're too late, but we can't re-live the time we have wasted. Time doesn't give us second chances.
3. Or we can work diligently, and stay on track. God isn't unfair. At no point in time will He give us more than we can handle. Keeping up with life is not some insurmountable goal.
4. I know, that was not two conclusions. I'm in high-school. I can do simple math.
5. Sometimes.

Obviously, these are conclusions that many before me have already discovered, and many after me will also uncover. No matter how many times you say them, they're still true.
I'm not saying that my problem of procrastination has been confronted and is now completely solved. (not on yer life) But I have realized that it is a weakness of mine and it is something I want to change. Recognizing a problem is the first step to its resolution, right?
It's not some flash of lightning that I've had either. I tend to be rather complacent with my faults. It must just be part of who I am, right? But that's not truly what I believe. God gave us our faults so that He could help us through them. We become better people with stronger characters as we face our faults. The more we fight for Christ-likeness, the more we are blessed and the more we truly live. And that's what I want to do. We have only a few decades on this planet to make the biggest impact we can. I don't want to watch my life go by as I guiltily procrastinate, I want to be right there in the midst of it. I want to live Life to its fullest.

Wow Maggie. That was strangely inspiring. At least, I'm inspired. Everyone else is sitting with their elbows on the table and bored eyes.
Whoops. Class dismissed.


~Margaret

2 comments: