Pages

Monday, December 2, 2013

Henry Percy

Hi guys!!! I hope all of you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! And if you're not in the States, I hope you had a wonderful day of giving thanks all the same;) I just got back from a delightful holiday with my grandparents, my only regret being that I slept through a lot of it:/
In other news me and my cold will be celebrating our one month anniversary next Monday, and lemme tell ya, it has been a whirlwind of a month. Both awesome and horrid, plus a few other things thrown in x) Christmas is coming up soon, and as usual, I am disgustingly negligent when it comes to preparation for the holidays. My desire to buy my friends and family thoughtful gifts is usually outweighed by my lack of realization that Time and Holidays wait for no man, and that a day which at one time seems far away is actually approaching quite speedily.

So why the odd title? you ask. I shush you and proceed to explain.
My friend Juliette and I (I can never get over the irony of a Shakespeare nerd having a friend named Juliette) have a writing journal we've been working on, where one person writes anything they choose in it and then passes it off to the next person. I got it back from her last Sunday, ad since we were leaving for my grandparents the next day, I decided  to bring it along.

Here's the proverbial dill, pickle. (if I may borrow the colloquialism) If I don't have a purpose for writing, I ramble off in a long string of boring sentences that you never want to be forced to read, ever. You guys who have read anything else on my blog know that this is true. Well, I tried to avoid doing this in our writing journal, but I ended up filling two or three pages with my excitement for Disney's Frozen that came out last week (which was amazing, btw^.^) how one of my earbuds didn't work so when I listened to Newsies it took half the lines out, and how it took me twelve hours to write a five paragraph essay.
I realized the horror of what I had been doing all week on Friday evening, and vowed to write something productive the next day. I sort of promised to write her a scene from something, and that night I asked my sister for ideas.
This turned into an hour long story and we both fell asleep. WHILE she was telling it and I was butting in with my suggestions.

The next morning, I was still determined to write the scene, and on the looooooong road trip home, I had ample time to consider my options.
Long story short, I wrote the scene, and I present it to you now, along with the odd post title. Ha! See? I knew it'd make sense somewhere!

Well, like I told Juliette, this is just a short scene. I don't plan to write the rest of the story, and I don't really wish to. It was fun to write though, and I purposely left some things ambiguous. Use your imagination! Also, it is completely unedited, and I am posting it with the hope that you can overlook the rough edges;) Alas, enough stalling. Here 'tis, dear readers.


I faced him.
“I worked with you once, Cas. There's no way you'll convince me to sell my soul to the devil like that just to save you a few pounds a day."
    “W-well technically speaking, of, of course,” Oliver trembled, “You wouldn’t actually have to-”
    “Shut up.” I groaned. Caspar Weatherton smiled.
    “Your young friend does seem to be rather too willing to help at times.”
    “Oliver,” I turned to him reluctantly. “Perhaps a post outside would be more… useful?” He pouted.
    “You mean you don’t need me to-”
    “No, Oliver.” I responded firmly. “Not right now.” He dragged his feet on the ground as he walked to the door and shut it slowly behind him. I turned back to Weatherton and straightened my jacket. “Well, Cas?” I asked.
    He drummed his fingers on the desk. Abruptly, he leaned forward and looked directly into my eyes.

“Henry,” he said. “You know that by going through with this, this “deal” of yours, you are effectively sealing your own fate.”
    I had thought about it. Every minute that passed left me with a horrible sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. But there was no other way. And I was determined. I looked at him squarely.
    “I know. But it doesn’t make a difference.”

He smiled. “What is it all for, Henry? You know you can’t win this. You’re just a boy. All of you are just boys. Me, I’m the wealthiest man in this country. I have billions of pounds at my disposal, as many armed men as I wish… It’s a hopeless fight. I offered you your freedom, a chance to make a new life for yourself, wherever you choose. Why waste that chance on a dead hope?”

I swallowed hard, the lump in my throat finally dissolving.
    “You forgot something, Cas.” I said softly.
    “What?” His ice-cold eyes hardened.
    “Strength in numbers.” I whispered. His eyes widened and I laughed.

Just then, the doors burst open, and chimney-sweeps filled the room with Oliver leading them. Weatherton uttered a piercing scream that was somehow heard over the cacophonous yelling and laughter, and the boys turned in unison to the overweight men who stood sweating by the massive oaken desk. In a single voice they shouted at him, overturning the desk and pinning him to the wall. He was absolutely red-faced now, and though at first he had yelled for his servants and guards, he now gave up the endeavor as useless. He caught my eye through the throng.

“PERCY!!!” he gasped. Oliver came up behind me and I clapped him on the shoulder.
    “Well done.” I chuckled. “Couldn’t have played the part better myself.” Weatherton kept shouting at me,and I ignored him. But the mob was getting too wild, and soon I pulled the whistle out of my pocket and gave it a long blast. They soon cleared out, leaving the three of us alone in the shambled room. Oliver winked at me and followed the sweeps out, leaving me to deal with Caspar Weatherton. I walked over to him and stuck out my hand. He used it to pull himself upright.

“I’m leaving, Cas.” I said. “We all are.”
    “But, where will you go?” he sputtered. “You don’t stand a chance.”
    “On the contrary,” I grinned. “We certainly do.” He glared daggers at me.
    “You can’t leave. I’ll send my detectives after you, I’ll set the police on your heels. Why, I could have you all imprisoned for what you’ve done to my building alone!” He gestured to the room. “Before you get ten miles, I’ll have you back here in ropes.” He was losing ground and he knew it.
    “It's over, Cas. It's all over. No more lying, no more cheating us out of what we deserve. There's something better out there, and we're gonna find it. Cas," I continued, "You lost. You're not gonna crush us under your heel any more, no more than you had the right to do in the first place." I turned to leave.
"Young man, you walk out of that door and it's all over for you. You'll never come back again."
"Suit yourself." I chuckled. I turned when I got to it and winked at him. "Thanks for everything. Maybe we'll meet again, one day. Although I hope not." I added, and slammed the door.
 
 I took a deep breath of the city air. "Life starts now." I said to myself, and hurried to join my friends.



Like I said to Juliette, "Was that stupid? I hope that wasn't stupid. It might have been stupid. Oh well."



~Margaret

4 comments:

  1. I think this was rather good. I and I want to read the beginning. But I don't have to if you don't want to. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you! Glad you enjoyed it;) Actually, there isn't a beginning. Or a middle. It's just that scene. x)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Megan!!!^_^ But I think we all know who's the real amazing writer here^^^^xD

      Delete