Pages

Saturday, May 3, 2014

The April Roundup

Hello Bloggers, Readers, and casual Internet-Goers!! I'm back once more to discuss my embarrassingly compulsive hobby, which you obligingly listen to every month. Or maybe you don't. Maybe you just skip these posts. Hmm.

I started the month with The King's Fifth, by Scott O'Dell. I suppose you could call this a sequel of sorts to the novel Zia, which I read last month. It involves a few of the same characters, namely Zia herself, but it is telling the story of a young cartographer by the name of Esteban de Sandoval, who travels with a group of Spaniards searching for mythical treasure of ancient Native Americans. It's compelling in its simplicity, you see the motives of the other men and you know what they will do to get what they want. The interesting part is watching Esteban's character evolve to a point where he begins to make decisions he wouldn't have at the beginning.

The Space Trilogy, by C. S. Lewis.
I really need to tackle each book separately, so I'm going to do that.
Out of the Silent Planet.
From the first, Lewis engrosses you in this universe. It differs from modern fantasy in that he doesn't add to reality, (ex. new worlds, different worlds, etc.) but rather forces you to look at our own solar system differently. Silent Planet is really an introduction to this idea, the prologue to the story if you will. Lewis immerses you in the color and fascination of Macalandra, (Mars) while subtly setting the stage for future events.
Perelandra.
Definitely my favourite, hands down. This book is a theological roller-coaster, with some heavyweight food for thought. Warning: Do not read unless you are in circumstances which permit you to be silent and pensive for the next 48 hours. In this sequel, Dr. Elwin Ransom, the MC from the previous book, (and actually based on Lewis's friend and fellow writer, J.R.R. Tolkien) is summoned by an elendil (think fairy that doesn't defy physics) to the world of Perelandra, Venus. He finds there a pure, spotless, Eden-like world, and soon finds his purpose there: A bent scientist who had abducted Ransom and taken him to Mars (prev. book) has arrived to further stain the planets of the solar system. But this time, it's not quite him speaking, it's something he's allowed into him.
That Hideous Strength.
The climax to the trilogy, this book differs from the others in that Ransom, while being a character in it, is not the protagonist, but rather the book is told from mainly two viewpoints, a husband and wife by the names of Mark and Jane. They follow two vastly different paths, Mark taking a job at a new corporation called N.I.C.E. with dubious purposes. Jane, after discovering that the nightmares she has been having are actually real events, finds a safe-house, a group of men and women trying to combat the evil of the N.I.C.E. And the Director?? Who but Elwin Ransom, of course! I hadn't realized how much I missed his input in the story until he wasn't there, so I was really glad when he finally made an appearance.
  I could talk on and on about this series, but I think a safer answer would simply be to read them yourself! You can't go wrong!

Gone With the Wind, by Margaret Mitchell
First off, I have to make it clear: I did not enjoy this book in the normal sense, it was not necessarily a pleasurable read, but it gave me a deeper admiration for Mitchell than I have for almost any other author. She takes an unlikable character, the narcissistic, egotistic, Scarlett O'Hara, and proceeds to write 1,037 pages about twelve years of her life. That's the boldest play ever made. She defies the unspoken laws of writing by giving us every reason to hate this character and practically no reason to love her. So why do we stick with it? Because we see ourselves in her. Sure, she's bold and doesn't care AT ALL what others think of her, but every decision she makes is the one we ourselves would have wanted to make in her situation. So we keep reading, not to see what happens next, but rather to see how she will react to what happens. And also Rhett Butler.
  I admit, it took me well over 500 pages to like this man, but he redeemed himself in the end. None of these characters are essentially good, (except Melanie - she was an angel) but they are for the most part strong. That was Mitchell's secret. Her characters stood on their own two feet. And you feel an emotion akin to disgust when you meet a character who doesn't.

Future Grace, by John Piper
John Piper and C.S. Lewis are, in my mind, two of the great writers of the Christian faith. Which made it ironic that I was actually reading this book as I was in the middle of That Hideous Strength. I'm not going to go into the deep theology in this book, (which will continue to be mindblowing every time I re-read it) but it really was eye-opening, and I would recommend it to anyone who is trying to understand the mystery of God's grace, and our response to it. Thanks to Cailean for lending it to me.

The First Five Pages, by Noah Lukeman.
This is my favourite book on writing, hands down. Lukeman was an editor himself, and tells with astonishing clarity, just exactly what those demanding publishers are looking for. HE GETS US. It's fabulous. I have devoured parts of this book countless times, and some of the pages are almost entirely highlighted. A great read for writers at any stage of experience.

Love's Labour's Lost by William Shakespeare
I started into this one thinking, "Well, this is one of the more obscure, early ones, so I'm basically just reading this to get a better insight on Shakespeare's earlier career ad writing." But I should know by now, that Shakespeare has never failed to pleasantly surprise me. He surprised me at my first encounter with him, when I discovered that no, this is not a stuffy, classic author, but an intensely real, funny, emotional writer, who wrote real, funny, emotional plays. I connected with his work in a way I've never done with anyone else's.
  Needless to say, this was no exception. Love's Labour's Lost is comical, witty, and memorable, ending on one of the more sensible notes of his work as a whole. It is one I am sure to reread many more times.

All's Well That End's Well, by William Shakespeare
Again, I was surprised. From the beginning, Shakespeare seems to set out rather ironically to prove his statement in the title wrong, that all is certainly not well that ends well. This is one of his problem plays, one that doesn't seem to fit into any of the basic three categories, Comedy, History, and the illustrious Tragedy. It has its funny moments, but also its tragic moments. I was left not knowing exactly how to feel.

Mine is the Night, by Liz Curtis Higgs
This is a retelling of the story of Ruth in the Bible, set in 17th century Scotland. So, points for originality. But as many well-known, prolific, Christian writers, Higgs seems to fall a little flat. I appreciate the strong faith in God of Elisabeth (Ruth) and her mother-in-law, but that was about the only believable thing in the story. Fairy-tale romance and good luck have their place in literature, but it belongs in fairytales, not out of them. And yes, I know the story of Ruth and God's great provision for her, but I would advise a look at the plot, and perhaps a smoothing out of a few of the larger plot holes.
All that to say, I actually did enjoy this book. It was a light, quick, satisfying read, and the author should be proud. But as for memorability, I think some of Noah Lukeman's advice would go a long way.

The Baron's Gloves, by Louisa May Alcott.
I love this book with no reservation.
I think we all have this book, one that we found when we were very young, a book that we've read countless times. It's more for fun than for anything else. It's probably short, not challenging to read, and oddly satisfying.
  I love any book that I can't stop reading, and strangely enough, this is one of them. I avidly read everything Alcott has ever written, but this one most of all. I'm still not sure why.

The Door in the Wall, by Marguerite de Angeli
This is a children's book that I have read ever since we got it for my history class in elementary school. It's about a lame boy in the times of old England, when the Plague was making its horrible rounds. Even with the drear setting, this book is lighthearted and fun to read. It's one I am eager for my young siblings to enjoy.

Cyrano de Bergerac, by Edmond Rostand.
This is one of my favourite classics ever, probably. I saw the movie (1950) before I read the play, which I picked up by chance a few years ago. I probably know a third of this play by heart, just from reading and watching it so many times. The story of a brave cavalier of France in the mid 1600's, who is not only a Cadet, but a playwright, musician, actor, and above all a swordsman. He is madly in love with his cousin, Roxanne, (no stop grimacing it's not weird) but is held back from expressing his love because of his one fatal flaw, his comically long nose. He teams up with Christian de Neuvilette, who is also in love with Roxanne, but lacks the skill to say it. Together, they become one handsome, eloquent hero, who wins the heart of Roxanne. And I read it over, and over, and over again. It's basically the circle of Life.

Crooks Tour, by Jane Shaw.
This is the story of Ricky, a schoolgirl who is obsessed with the idea of criminals, crime, and dastardly deeds being committed around every corner. When her class goes on a tour of Europe, her two best friends, Julie and Fay, have the time of their lives trying to keep up with her. I really don't think this little book has ever not made me laugh.

And there you have it! My reading list from the past month!
What do you think? If I had a goal in doing these posts, I would say it is to hopefully inspire you to read some of these books, as I am inspired to read by the similar projects of others.
What was your favourite book in the past month? You know where to tell me about it! (Hint: it's down at the bottom and marked, "Comment")

Until next month, readers!


~Margaret

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm... let's see, my favorite book that I read in April would probably be The House of Hades. A beautiful, wonderful book about young Percy Jackson and Annabeth. And some other characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh yes, Percy Jackson. From what I heard about the end of the last book, people were probably very glad to get this new one xD

      Delete
  2. AHHHH. I'm reading Cyrano at the moment!! :D It is amazing. <3 Wow, that is quite the list. Love it. I wish I could read that fast xD

    ReplyDelete