Pages

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

"In the depths of my being, I meet my fellow humans..."

Being human.

There's so much more to it than simply waking up every morning; still breathing, still alive.

We were created to be together, with equal souls and a similar purpose.

My faith says that where I end up after this life will be different than where others will, my religion dictates the ways this belief manifests itself here on earth.
But destination aside, there is a common thread running through humanity, binding us together.

I can only point you to the wisdom of those who have understood it better than I:

"In the face of the oppressed I recognize my own face and in the hands of the oppressor I recognize my own hands. Their flesh is my flesh, their blood is my blood, their pain is my pain, their smile is my smile. Their ability to torture is in me, too; their capacity to forgive I find also in myself. There is nothing in me that does not belong to them too; nothing in them that does not belong to me. In my heart I know their yearning for love, and down to my entrails I can feel their cruelty. In another's eyes I see my plea for forgiveness, and in a hardened frown I see my refusal. When someone murders, I know that I too could have done that, and when someone gives birth, I know that I am capable of that as well. In the depths of my being, I meet my fellow humans with whom I share love and hate, life and death." -Henri Nouwen, With Open Hands 

"Soul is the constant commonality." -Jon Foreman

The Brilliance, "Brother"

 Lyrics:

When I look into the face
Of my enemy
I see my brother
I see my brother

When I look into the face
Of my enemy
I see my brother
I see my brother

Forgiveness is the garment 
Of our courage
The power to make the peace
We long to know
Open up our eyes
To see the wounds that bind
All of humankind
May out shutter hearts
Greet the dawn of life
With charity and love

~~~~~~~~~~

Our strength lies in our weakness without each other, our inability to be whole apart from "together."
The understanding that no individual has probed the levels of high or low that another person cannot reach. The idea that we are small in the face of something astronomically big: space, life, God.
We are all in this together.



~Margaret

No comments:

Post a Comment